Year: 1826 AD
Scale: 1/16" = 1 foot
Overall Length: 175 feet
The Lagoda was built in 1826 in Scituate, Massachusetts. She was used as a merchant ship until 1841 when she was converted to a whaling vessel.
The art of scrimshaw was developed on early whaling ships like this one. The sailors, often lonely for home, would engrave ivory whales teeth with sharpened steel points. Lampblack was used in place of ink to shade the engraved areas.
Research information including blueprints, drawings and photographs were furnished by the Whaling Museum of New Bedford, Massachusetts.
Stay informed with the latest news from David Warther Carvings, including details and tickets for all of the most up-to-date programs, workshops, events, and more.
Sign Up Now →